Wednesday, September 24, 2008

When is the baby coming?

Today I had my appointment with the doctor. I'm 5 days away from my due date but this little guy is not ready to come out, or so my body has decided that he is not ready to come out. I am effaced 80% but not dilated at all. My doctor is going out of town the day after my due date. He has to go to London to testify for the BBC and will be gone for 4 days. We were trying to decide whether or not to induce me before he left but since I'm not progressing it is too dangerous to start me early. So we are waiting. He said I very well could still be pregnant for the next 7 to 10 days. Basically I will see his nurse midwife next week and if things arent' progressing I will be set to be induced at 41 weeks. Now knowing that I'm going to be going over my due date isn't the most exciting thing in the world. However, after watching everything that my sister and her children have gone through with coming so early I just have to remind myself how lucky I am to be having a full term baby. I will most likely get to leave the hospital with my baby a few days after he is born. I can handle 12 more days of pregnancy. My life will change drastically after he gets here so I just figure I'll do a few things I won't be able to do as easily after he arrives. The hardest part for me is how big he may be. If the ultrasounds are correct then he will weigh almost 9 pounds if I deliver at 41 weeks. I'm really hoping they aren't correct because I don't know if I can handle a baby that big. But no thanks to Jeff, he was a mighty large baby. So if anyone has some good ideas on things to do to pass the time let me know.

6 comments:

The Desatoff Family said...

The things I miss most about pre-baby life are going to see a movie whenever I want to and sleeping in. Those are my suggestions :) Hang in there, Nat! It's all worth it :)

Robin

Ashley said...

Haha you can do it! My babies were both delivered at full term....and one a couple days past and the first weighed 9lb 7oz and the second (Eli) was 9lbs 3oz and I lived!

Brittany said...

Oh...you must be feeling so anxious! I can't believe your doctor is going to be out of town on your due date. You are going to be great, when this little guy does make his first appearance!

If you aren't too uncomfortable...I would sleep in, sleep in, and sleep in some more! That's one thing you don't get to do once junior arrives. Jody and I are SO excited for you two. I can't believe it's this close. You're both going to be such great parents.

shaggynpoopy said...

Believe it or not someone knows how you feel...at least partly. Our doctor is going to be out of town on our due date also and we are trying to decide whether or not to be induced. We'll make a decision after we see how things look next week.
Good Luck! If I think of anything to pass my own time I'll let ya know!

Jacee McGuire said...

I have a few friends who swear by castor oil. If I decided to do it I would just do half of what it says to drink. I think it is 2 TBS, but I haven't really looked into it much. I have considered trying it a day before I get induced. We will see. I don't know, diarrhea doesn't sound like lots of fun, but two of my friends said they didn't get it. Just a suggestion! It is nice to wait for that little one to tell you that they are ready. A part of me wishes I wasn't getting induced.
Hopefully he decides to come soon!

Brandi said...

The last few days are so hard! I wouldn't worry about the ultrasound tech. saying that your baby will be 9 lbs. With Maya, they said she measured 8 lbs. at 37 weeks and she came out at 38 weeks only weighing 6lbs. Good luck these next few days!